Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thomas Nelson: A NYC Office?

Would Thomas Nelson be more successful as a company with a New York office? I'm an awful networker. Okay, maybe not awful but average at best. In one day, I've met three authors and two professionals from other publishing houses in the Christian publishing industry. I've actually given away business cards with a directly related business purpose. For those in book publishing, especially in the editorial ranks, you more typically give away cards to wannabe authors you hope never write.

I'm just wondering, from my rich experience at Q, whether Thomas Nelson could benefit fiscally by placing itself in the most vibrant content-producing center in the US and perhaps the world. If I can generate good, potentially profitable relationships, just imagine what a great networker could do. Could we raise the level of our acquisition by positioning ourselves in the middle cutting-edge ideas? Like Tim Keller said last night, proximity comes with benefits.

2 comments:

Michael Hyatt said...

Actually, I think we would benefit from this. We have discussed it among the executive team several times. I think it is just a matter of time.

I hope you enjoyed Q. I spoke with Matt last night. He was raving about it!

Brynormous said...

Q was incredible, an excellent use of time professionally and personally. I couldn't be more grateful that I had the opportunity to attend. Great content. Great connections.